Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Words are all I have

I was going through another kindred momma's blog http://themadmomma.wordpress.com/category/babies/ this morning and felt a little ache when I read her post about how her little darlings' childhoods are slipping away faster than she can imagine. My own lil one is close to four. The last year has been especially magical....endless cute, funny, endearing, whimsical, sometimes profound, words have been rolling off the lil fellow's tongue in that tiny little voice, making me want to catch them and put them away into a large, wooden box which I can open up when there are no more 'tomorrows' of childhood, only 'yesterdays'. When the LO is chattering away, I am seized with such love and joy at that moment, that I cant be bothered to whip out a video recorder or even my phone and record those precious utterings. So now, in a quieter moment, I thought I would pen down some of these, in no particular order...
...from this morning, when I was dressing him for school, he looked out of the window and said, "the sun is in the sky, but I cant see God in the sky. I want to see Lord Shankar in the sky." -Lord Shankar is right up there, in his pecking order of the Gods and LO will say of him in a low,deep voice, "Shankar is the most powerful god, stronger than all other gods. I am going to pray to him for divine powers" with the accent on 'divine'.
..."Amma, I love you 'morer' than anyone else." 
..."I can can't open this, I can can't reach this, I can can't tell you the story" all can'ts are prefixed with a can :-)
...when he was around 3, I had started conversing with him in English on a regular basis. Until then, it had mostly been Tamil and Bengali that he had heard most often. But he picked up English with remarkable speed, rattling off big words like 'dangerous' and 'ferocious' in no time. When he first heard 'ferocious lion' in a story, he struggled to get the 's' hissing sound between his teeth and would say 'ferocioush' instead...leaving us in peals of laughter. But he cottoned onto this soon enough and then even when we would egg him on by deliberately saying 'ferocioush' in my narration, he would correct me and we would happily play this game until he would get frustrated with his learner's ineptitude and would say, "arrey ram...so many times i am telling you, ferocious, not ferocioush." Same for other words like 'rakshash'. The second stage was reached by the time he was three and a half.
.... a couple of days back while we were chatting away aimlessly in the evening, he said, "amma, today i was thinking of you when I was going upto my daycare class." Surprised at this rather adult kind of expression, I asked him why he was thinking of me. And his answer was very matter of fact, "I was thinking of you that I want to give you a kichchoo (our term for kiss)"...he made my day, month and forever!
....names he sometimes gives himself, "Mighty obi, Vik-a-vik, Chum"...and then he insists that everyone around should call him by that name that day.
...."Amma, you are my goodest girl"
....he knows the song 'Hum Honge Kamyaab, Ek Din'...but for the longest time, when I would sing this to him, he would think the lyrics went like 'Hum Honge Kaamya Bek Din'...so even after he learnt later to separate the 'ek' from the 'kamyaab', sometimes, just to take ourselves back to a more innocent time, we would incorrectly correct him and make him say, 'bek din'.
....he notices my toes on days when i am back from a pedicure and will say, "amma, today your toes are looking very preetty"
....out of the blue, he said one day,"stinking rich"...while I recovered my jaw from where it had fallen, he said, "the bad king john said stinking rich in the Robin Hood story".  And went on to add that "Robin Hood is the best archer in all of England"! 
....one evening he suddenly came to me in the kitchen and said " I want laddoos." I offered him some excellent, besan laddoos. But he insisted, "I want the white nariyal laddoos you make with kishmish. Make now. Go and get nariyal."
....then are the million little things that he says in Tamil which crack me up...like 'naan naatham potty panninen' or 'padtakeven' instead of 'padtakaren'. But then, I'm no authority on Tamil myself!
....when he found a few coins somewhere (this was when he was around 3 and 5 months), I asked him what he wanted to buy with it. He sweetly said "dekho mere paas chaar rupiya hai..main is se roti aur bhindi loonga" ...the love for such simple pleasures continues..only now it's for 'roti and gur'
....at school he told his ma'am "aapko pata hai, mera favourite thing kya hai?", and when ma'am asked him, expecting some toy or favourite food to be named, pat came the reply "mera mummy ka tummy"

May this list keep growing.....faster than he grows up!

2 comments:

Rumi- Natively said...

So glad you penned all of this down:) He sure is a cute little imp!I am now convinced that he was Arjuna in his last life- he seems to talk alot about bows and arrows. He promised to give me a magic arrow too!

Little Miss Muffet said...

No wonder he is named Savyasachi...another name of Arjuna