Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Wall

Just the other day I was sharing space with a creature that I loathe, fear, and the sight of which makes me want to run for cover. A lizard on the wall. From my position there, I could get a lizard's eye view of the room - a cheap Chinese make computer table groaning under the weight of
1. A 19" monitor
2. A dust covered printer
3. 3 coffee cups doubling or rather tripling up as cigarette ash receptacles
4. 2 hammers of different sizes
5. A pen-stand
6. A VOiP phone
7. assorted CDs covered with cigarette ash (the coffee cups weren't enough I guess)
8. pieces of wood in all the shapes you learnt about in elementary geometry class
9. little packets of nuts and bolts..

And this is just one corner... adorning the other side of the room is a row of three, gleaming silver, aluminium trunks... the kind which our forefathers, three generations before us used to lug about in trains. More that meets my eye - a power drill, planks of wood, a pair of shoes and even a softboard with an oddly beautiful painting of two scorpions. Thick black wires snaking across the floor, and wood shavings scattered almost poetically complete the picture of perfect tohubohu (its a new word i came across - means chaos).

This has been the doing of my hubby. For the last two weeks he's been living and breathing a home theatre system that he's assembling ENTIRELY ( and I mean entirely) by himself. He doesn't suspect that my coordinates are at ninety degrees to his. For a moment his blissful obliviousness to this fact, almost makes me want to explode. And then, my alter ego which all this while has been 'pottering' around in the kitchen, comes up to him with a broken 'pot' - one whose handle has a broken screw. He examines the handle, finds the screw can't be salvaged.

"I'll have to see if I have another screw of this size",
he says while rummaging through the treasures on his computer table. Voila! The right screw raises its head and promptly gets driven into the handle. As my alter ego, looking visibly pleased starts back for the kitchen, he pulls her to him, and gives her a light peck. That's the moment when I fall off the wall. After 'wall', sharing a life (and his tohubohu space) with him is so much better than sharing a wall with a lizard!

2 comments:

Shweta said...

i'm scared of lizards!

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.